Monday, April 4, 2011

"C" is for wellness CHALLENGE

For 12 weeks beginning last January I have participated in a Wellness Challenge. A week has gone by since it ended--a week of eating chocolate and not exercising, a week of eating after 8 PM if I darn well wanted to, and no writing in my journal. (Rebel that I am!) Nearly everything that I've been denying myself or forcing myself to do I have participated in this past week.

Now I'm here to evaluate. Of the 10 things on the list to do or not to do, what do I really want to make a part of my life. I should rephrase that..what am I willing to make a part of my life? Willing enough to actually do or not do?

Sure the challenge was, on its surface, about keeping points to see who would win the prize for the highest score, but at its core it was about developing healthy habits. Here's the 10 listed in their shortened-checklist version. Which ones do you find most worthwhile in your own life? I already am in the habit of "inspirational" reading and I don't generally drink soda, and never alcohol. Fast food is consumed sparingly. It's the others that could go either way for me.

1. 48 ounces of water
2. 45 minutes of exercise
3. 2 servings of fruits & 2 servings of vegetables
4. No soda or alcohol
5. No sugar (as in sweets, not hidden sugar that's in everything)
6. No fast food or unhealthy snacks
7. No eating after 8:00 pm
8. Read 15 minutes (inspirational reading, like scriptures)
9. Write in your journal/blog
10. Personal goal of choice

While I did lose 6 pounds (though not my intention), I don't know if I feel more "well." It's probably one of those things where you will find the most benefit down the road in life. Like when I'm 80 I'll wish that I had exercised more.

Speaking of ages that end in "0," today I am celebrating one, so it's a good time to ponder. While I'm deciding what to do about the wellness habits, I'm also thinking about what to be. If you heard Lynn G. Robbin's message yesterday, you will know what I'm talking about.



I am a big list-maker. Everyday is about what TO DO. I wanted to do something for this year when I turn an age that ends with a "0" so I am thinking maybe instead of a list of 50 things TO DO, I will work on a list of 50 things TO BE.

Instead of exercising (a TO DO) maybe I should BE someone who exercises. Hmmm...

8 comments:

Gail said...

I watched this talk and loved it. I don't diet because I love food too much. But I do exercise five times a week for at least 30 minutes. Find someone who you can do it with or someone who will hold you accountable. My husband is an exercise freak so he motivates me. Pretty soon it will become a habit and you won't have to think about it anymore.

Taffy said...

Loved the talk! To be or to do. Doing exercise and good food is harder than being one who thinks about it :)
And, happy birthday?

Great post!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Inspirational post and list. Looks like we share many of the same goals for better health. I'm currently working on exercise. Altho I have a thyroid condition *yes really!* and so a lot of what I do may make me feel better but doesn't lead to significant weight loss. Which really bums me out. Oh well.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

I've exercised off and on in my life but have never lost any weight doing it :( You're right, I need to decide to BE an exerciser for health reasons (so I can make it to eighty), and not as just a thing to DO off and on.

Anna del C. Dye said...

The first thing is to do a list of what you can eat and the what not to eat will take care of itself.
When you focus in the "I can't have it" you will want it more. So make a list of all you can eat and you won't feel rebellious any more and probably you will stick to it easier. Best luck
Anna del C. Dye
Author of "The Silent Warrior Trilogy"
http://www.annadelc.com

Cathy said...

Great post. I'll have to write a "To Be" list now. What a concept.

Deirdra A. Eden said...

Hi Valerie! I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Powerful Woman Writer Award.
Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra

Valerie Ipson said...

Thanks, Deirdra!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails