Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm taking a holiday from blogging...


Okay...apparently, that's what I should have written sometime around say...Thanksgiving. My blogging has become more than sparse over the past SEVERAL weeks. A measly promise of prizes and a repeat of a blog posted elsewhere is all I have offered. I think my brain was on holiday as well, but with the return of order and civility around here and the expectation of a new year and decade (NO PRESSURE THERE!), I'm baaaaaack!

I'm also very hopeful that I might actually finish my novel. Seriously. Not that I have worked on it since Thanksgiving, mind you (get that crazy thought out of your pointy little head), but sometime in the netherworld of last November I did begin a summary of the rough drafty drivel I'm calling a novel. I know. A summary. That's so 10th Grade English Class-y of me. I actually printed off a copy of my entire manuscript. Doesn't that sound so writerly, so authorly? I have a manuscript! Ahhhh! On the first page I wrote in big letters: NOT FINAL DRAFT! Lest anyone happen upon it and read it and think that I am so insanely delusional that I think these words as written are publish-worthy.

Anyway, my goal is to finish the summary which promises to reveal all the gaping gaps I need to fill. I will reread the manuscript (Oh, I love that word) which will further reveal such things as all the "be" verbs I need to exchange for action verbs, the dangling participles I'll need to undangle, and the words like "undangle" that probably aren't really even words that will need to be cut. Have you ever heard anyone say, "Can you please undangle that string you're hanging over the cat's face"? Hmmm...

Well, I'll get to work on that whole summary and finishing thing and you quietly amuse yourselves till that grand day of being done arrives. You'll be the first to know.

This post has turned into

11 comments:

justJoan said...

I'm in the middle of some hefty revisions on my own novel! Best of luck in finishing your summary and then beginning revisions of your own. =D

Tamara said...

you make me laugh out loud. i can relate on several levels - but i am sure your rough draft will require much less clean up than my rough draft wannabe. thanks for sharing. you give me hope.

Valerie Ipson said...

I want to steal that term---rough draft wannabe. I like it.

Susan G. Haws said...

Valerie,
Your blog makes me smile and identify with you. Then my inner child starts bouncing up and down saying she wants to be you when she grows up. I have a long way to go before I am even at the wannabe stage. Impressive.

Krista Darrach said...

You go Valerie!!!!
Glad your back among the bloggers again!
I wanna read it.
Hmmm gives me an idea...
~K

Rachelle Christensen said...

Good luck with your WIP. Hope your new year is great! :)

Marilyn said...

I wish I could write as wonderfully as you and all your writerly friends. My blog is just dribble!

Judy said...

One thing about having a writer's blog. People write fuu comments, because they too are comments. I too am excited to read your maniscript.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I certainly understand. Now get busy and finish that book.

Anonymous said...

While I am dangling above my key board trying the select the best word to use to supplement my very lacking ms,I would certainly like to undangle and get with it!

Love your choice of words. I always keep the sewing kit handy when reading something you have written, to take out the stitches you put me in!

Barbara B

Valerie Ipson said...

Somewhere in the spirit world my mother is smiling that I am inspiring anyone to reach for a sewing kit, whatever the reason. Heaven knows she tried to teach me to sew. Writing is more fun than sewing and she taught me that, too.(Thanks, Mom)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails