Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The War of Art



I've just barely begun reading The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, but this quote knocked my socks off.

"If tomorrow morning by some stroke of magic every dazed and benighted soul woke up with the power to take the first step toward pursuing his or her dreams, every shrink in the directory would be out of business. Prisons would stand empty. The alcohol and tobacco industries would collapse, along with the junk food, cosmetic surgery, and infotainment businesses, not to mention pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, and the medical profession from top to bottom. Domestic abuse would become extinct, as would addiction, obesity, migraine headaches, road rage, and dandruff."

Never deny the power your dream has to make this world a better place.

8 comments:

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I've been meaning to get Art of War for awhile now-Christmas this year for sure!

Valerie Ipson said...

Now did you mean The War of Art or the Art of War? Coming from you, it could be either one, David!

Unknown said...

Dandruff, really? But dreaming is amazing.
You'll have to let us know how you enjoy the book, Valerie.

KJ's Perspective Take 2 said...

The power to take the first step is really the power to overcome the fear. That is my take anyway. Fear is what usually keeps us from pursuing our dreams! Great post to get us thinking.

Susan G. Haws said...

I just checked The War of Art out from the library. I haven't started it yet. I do agree with it mostly. I think accidents / trauma and inherited diseases and disabilities would still be here and the body getting ready to die but most of the other things are people not coping with life's challenges in a healthy manner or a result of stress. Makes me think.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Love that quote. It does make you step back and wonder, doesn't it?

Canda said...

First steps then baby steps. What a wonderful idea. Let's all do it. :)

Susan G. Haws said...

I got the book on audio -CD and I got only a bit farther than the quote and he made me so frustrated and angry I turned it off. It was all the part about how the artist and the child get caught up in their activity and loose track of time. Then they are interrupted by a call to dinner. Hello, did anyone else get upset that the person calling the other to dinner was just kind of a helper to the main person the artist. I am thinking he doesn't clean his own house, fix his own food, do his own laundry, or value the dreams of the person that does all this for him. I will go back and glean the good stuff when I stop feeling ultra sensitive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails