Wednesday, November 10, 2010

my novel on paper


Thoughts: It looks like they reduced my manuscript to fit, probably because I write with zero margins to conserve paper when I print a chapter out for myself. It's double-sided, so that makes up for their crazy margins. For some reason some spacing is off on the first page, but other than that, I kind of like seeing it "in print!"

For the first time ever, I have placed my manuscript completely into the hands of another. Sure it screams ROUGH DRAFT so loudly you have to cover your ears, and I've given the receiver of it a jillion disclaimers about how it's not all there because it was printed without my supervision, and I have so many scenes not assigned to a chapter number yet--like the entire ending chapters since when I wrote them I didn't know what chapter they would be--and it didn't all get copied, and I'm still rewriting some stuff...

But nonetheless, it's out there.

I needed a deadline and she gave me one, so I worked like crazy moving sticky notes around my storyboard and then moving scenes around in the manuscript and spent a good bit of time wondering what the fajita I'm doing.

I'll have to admit though when I read my opening paragraphs I got a bit emotional...then about halfway through the chapter I was so tired of it. I've read this chapter a thousand times before, people. I had to skip ahead, but I'm hoping when you get the chance to read it, you won't want to skip ahead. You'll want to be there with Taryn every step of the way.

I thought after the grand printing of the manuscript I would lay off writing for awhile. Maybe get a spa pedicure, read the stacks of books on my TBR list, and make toast with abandon. My daughter's getting married two days after Thanksgiving, so with all of that and then Christmas, it's a great time to take a break.

But, no.

I haven't written since I dropped off the manuscript a week and a half ago and last night I had another baby dream. You don't know how much I was priding myself for not having any baby dreams since the Baby Terror Dream Weeks of August--Ha! I thought. I'll show you who's nurturing her creative self! And then, boom, it shows up again, and it's hungry and needs nurturing. (Click on "babies" in the archives to see my baby dream history)

So today I wrote 1172 words.

Take that, creative self/baby person in my dreams! I'm going to go make myself some toast.



16 comments:

Rebecca Blevins said...

How exciting! Good luck, and congratulations!

Taffy said...

Congrats! Love the look of your novel :)

Tamara said...

Is there a name for the kind of envy you feel for someone's book when it is in rough draft form? And any idea if that sort of envy is the kind prohibited in scripture? I hope not because I think its a good kind that is inspiring me to keep going! Great job!

Jolene Perry said...

It is a fun thing to see the whole project on paper, even if there's a lot of work still to be done.
Awesome.

Valerie Ipson said...

Thank you!

And Jolene, you summed up exactly what I was trying to convey in my post.

And note to Peggy when she reads this post: Let's see a picture of your rough draft! Hint, hint!

ali cross said...

LOL this is awesome! WTG creative self!

Susan G. Haws said...

Congrats!!!!!! I so wish it was me.

Michael Knudsen said...

That's a great feeling to see it in print for the first time, and nerve-wracking to think of an intelligent human being actually reading it and hopefully feeling the emotions you intended to convey. It's a big step!

Natascha said...

Yay :)

Joyce DiPastena said...

Awesome, Valerie! Congratulations! I'll bet even your rough draft is wonderful! :-)

kbrebes said...

Why do you love toast so much? Your ms looks fantastic! I'm soo happy for you!!!

Mike Meraz said...

I do not believe in love at first sight but I do believe
in love at first vibe. it has happened to me many
times before. and those that I love I usually love in a
moment. I do not believe kindness has anything to
do with love, or how nice you are, you just love who
you love and that is all (though kindness does
nurture love). and sometimes this love may not
always be a healthy love, but it is undoubtedly a
connection that is stronger than any act of charity
can bring. I believe there is a spiritual affinity that
you share with certain people. and this affinity is
beyond logic. and that is why some people ask,
"why do you love them?" and all you can say is "I
don't know.. I just do." and it is because there is
something about that person that endears you to
them, that makes you feel, that brings you some
kind of identity that inspires you to be yourself. they
give you the courage to be who you truly are
because you have realized, "hey, I'm not alone." this
is why certain artists inspire us. it is a soul
connection. you have met a fellow soul mate.
someone from the same mold in a sense. I have this
theory about humans. I believe humans are a lot like
animals. not in the sense of being wild. but in the
sense that there are certain breeds. and when you
have met someone from your breed, you know it.

Jennifer Griffith said...

This is so exciting, Valerie. And I totally feel your pain! :) You're inspiring!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oooh, that's exciting to see it all printed out and ready to read like that!
Congrats on your daughter's upcoming marriage! I can't believe you're calm enough to write with all that going on!

Marilyn said...

So writing the 1100+ words made the baby dreams go away? Hum...I've never had those creative baby dreams so I guess that explains a lot about me!!!

Jon Paul said...

I haven't done it yet but I am really looking forward to the day when I can print my current WIP and hold it in my hands. There's something about the substantiality (yes, that must be a word. I just know it) that feels truly sublime.

Good luck, and thanks for joining up over at my place BTW. I'm slow to get around, but I do appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails