Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

I woke on Mother's Day preferring Ibuprofen-in-Bed instead of the traditional breakfast offerings. I think it's the consequence of no sleep for the last several days and two full days of conference-attending. We just moved into a new house, sleeping there for the first time the night I returned from Utah, so it was appropriate, I guess, that I "christen" the toilet. Sorry to be graphic, but I felt better after throwing up and my husband observed that it was a fitting tribute to my motherhood as I spent many a morning doing the same while pregnant with my various eight.

It was a lovely day with calls from children and time spent with the others. And I did eventually eat the omelet my husband made for me.

Of course, I think of my own mother who has been gone a long 16 years now. I think of how she might have loved doing what I am doing...in a writers group, attending retreats and conferences, learning new things, meeting new people, submitting her work, pitching to agents.

I have no pictures of my mom on this computer, so I took this one from the family blog. This goes way back...I'm like 14, 2nd from the right.

My sister posted a poem of our mother's on the family blog, so I thought I'd repost it here. It's a good reminder...

Reflections on Praise
by Eileen Giberson

A word of goodly praise
Is a shot of sunshine,
Like a lizard on a rock
I bask in the warm rays,
Turning, toasting; thinking
This spot uniquely mine.

Father,
I know you are not displeased
with kind words from a friend,
But let me not linger too long
In this pleasant sunbeam,
Lest it become a beam of another sort.
Only you, as Hopkins fitly penned,
Know what to avow, what to amend.
So let me seek your approbation,
Let me shape my self-esteem
In the light of revelation.


How was your day?

9 comments:

kbrebes said...

Lovely post, pic and poem. Hope you're feeling better!

Susan said...

Not to be graphic either, but right after we landed in Phoenix, I was in the airport bathroom "christening" one of their toilets. Do you think we got food poisoning from lunch at the conference or something?? Weird.

Anyway, it was so nice to meet (well, re-meet) you and hang out with you on the plane! I hope you were able to enjoy at least a little bit of Mother's Day :)

Valerie Ipson said...

I remember now you said you weren't feeling that great when we landed. Glad you made it off the plane "in time" for the "christening!"

So great to meet up with you, too! Your blog is so great!

Tamara said...

Oh, so sorry your day stared that way. Thanks for sharing the poem. And thanks for being such a great friend.

Shallee said...

So sorry about the Mother's Day sickness! I hear several people from the conference ended up getting sick. Hope you're feeling better, and it was nice to meet you at the conference!

Susan G. Haws said...

I don't see how you are so put together and have 8 kids (I know some are grown), and just moved and have your novel done,etc.
I am sure your mom is very proud of you. Your picture childhood family picture and your mother's poem was lovely.

Unknown said...

Holiday or not, our bodies tell us they will rule. Hope you feel better. It was a great conference for me too. I purposely didn't read the judges' comments on the first chapter contest until later on Sunday so I could keep that good feeling for a while. LOL

Valerie Ipson said...

You won 1st place, Renae! I'm sure you had ALL positive comments! Congratulations!!!

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Heh...my friend had her baby 5 weeks premature in the bathtub at her hotel on Mother's Day. Now THERES a christening for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails